My alma mater

by - 3:50 PM

19 June 2020

Today, my degree is officially conferred. I now hold a doctorate from the University of Queensland. I have yet to articulate all my emotions during my Ph.D. journey as it has not sunk in. In case my reader is living under a rock, I regret to inform you that we are currently fighting a global pandemic.

While I have yet to uncover the rollercoaster emotions that I felt in the last four years, my attachment to my alma mater - The University of Queensland - has grown stronger over the past few weeks. I have all the reasons to feel this way. First, UQ gave me a fair chance to compete for a slot in their competitive Ph.D. program. A foreigner, with almost unknown credentials, and no publications, found a supervisor who fought hard and vetted for my talents - based on his trust on me. I have yet to ask his reasons but, needless to say, it is something that I will never forget. UQ awarded me a full scholarship with a decent salary and a multitude of opportunities that were given by merit alone. I went to international travels, career development seminars, and classes that honed my skills not only as an academic but as a professional. Accomplished colleagues willingly co-authored my papers, gave constructive feedback, and shared valuable writing skills. I would not be able to publish my research in prestigious journals without their help. Finally, despite the recession, UQ gave me my first full-time academic job after my Ph.D. I am overwhelmed that, at a time when universities are struggling to stay afloat, I am still able to start my academic career. A chance is all I need and UQ granted it.

I am so proud of UQ. I feel immense gratitude, happiness, respect, and loyalty to this institution that took a chance on a stranger, a woman, a person of color like me, and believed in my abilities.










You May Also Like

0 comment/s